We're an affiliate! We may earn a small commission when you make a purchase from product links at no additional cost to you!
Looking for Dog Harness For The Cargo Area Of SUV? Well, These days finding the right dog harness can be very overwhelming at times, with so many on the market today, simply searching and going through each one and reading the reviews can be very time-consuming.
The good news is, we have done the hard work for you!
Not only have we spent hours looking at dog harnesses and reading reviews “but” we have been looking for a specific type of dog harness. The type of dog harness you can use for the cargo area of an SUV.
If you’re reading this article looking for this type of harness then you’re in the right place. Not only have we found one dog harness “but five” that we feel are perfect for a dog to use in the cargo area of your SUV.
Picking The Right Dog Harness For An SUV
Before you view the list of dog harnesses that we recommended, at this point, you’re probably thinking what exactly is the type of dog harness you can use in the back of an SUV?
They are all the same right?
Well, the answer is no! Although most dog harnesses are made with the same basic function, to stop your four-legged friend from choking when they pull on the lead. Every dog harness has its pros and cons.
Some harnesses have better designs “yet others” have more or better features and that’s what we are going disgusted in more detail below.
So first let’s start with the design. When picking a dog harness to use in an SUV you want one that is well padded yet comfortable at the same time for your dog.
Having a harness that’s padded will help protect your dog’s chest and back from any strain or bumps that could occur if there’s any sharp braking or maneuvering while in transit.
Although it’s never recommended to have a dog unrestrained while driving your SUV if your using just a simple barrier to stop your dog from jumping over the back seats “and not a seat belt” injuries can still happen!
This is why having a padded harness is something you should consider.
“But” of course, there are pros and cons to this, and as we have disgust, having a padded harness can protect your dog, however, it can also make your dog feel hot if you’re using it in the summer season.
This is where choosing a dog harness that’s made of high-quality air mesh material which is breathable, “but at the same time” is also durable and lightweight.
The next thing you need to consider is the features of the dog harness. There are many types of harnesses that come with all kinds of features.
For example, a basic dog harness comes with a leash attachment point and clip-on buckles and that’s it. “But” a high-quality harness is equipped with more features, more attachment points, and is made with better material.
Considering that you want a dog harness you can use for the cargo area of the SUV. You want one that has more attachment points so you can easily and safely secure your dog using elastic bungee dog seat belts.
It can also be challenging getting your dog to and from an SUV especially if you have an older dog. So having a harness that has what’s called a “safety top handle” can differently make life easier for you and your pooch.
Having a top handle also serves as another way to safely secure your dog by using a seat belt. Most high-quality harnesses are also fully adjustable for easy fitting and have quick-release buckles.
So there are some key features you should look out for when picking a dog harness. By not having these extra attachment points your find it very hard to secure your dog in the cargo area of the SUV.
Top 5 Dog Harnesses For Cargo Area Of SUV
1. RUFFWEAR – Front Range Dog Harness
- Made for extended wear: Lightweight, durable, and made for all-day outdoor adventures; Designed for easy on...
- 2 leash attachment points: Reinforced webbing at chest stands up to pulling and gives additional control...
- Padded for comfort: Foam-padded strips across the chest and belly provide equal load distribution and comfort...
- Customizable fit: 4 convenient points of adjustment for full range of motion; Easy access ID pocket for safe...
- Easy to see, day and night: Bright, easily visible fabric with reflective trim helps your dog stand out...
The Ruffwear Front Range Harness is not only great for everyday use “but” is perfect to use in your car or SUV, with its “Foam-Padded Strips” across the chest and belly providing protection for your dog when in transit.
This harness has a number of key features, for example, it’s designed with “Reinforced Webbing” in the chest area to resist pulling if there’s any sharp braking or maneuvering in your SUV.
The harness is equipped with “2 Lead Attachment Points” and “4 Adjustment Points” making it easier to secure your dog in the cargo area and has an aluminum V-ring centered on the dog’s back great for everyday walks.
This harness is a perfect example, of the features you need not only for outdoor adventures “but” for making sure your dog is fully secure while your driving your car or in this case your SUV.
|Product Name||RUFFWEAR Dog Harness|
|Color||Available In 6 Colors|
|Item Weight||150 g|
|Special Features||Illuminous, Lightweight, Durable|
|Product Dimensions||0.48 x 30.51 x 24.51 cm|
2. Rabbitgoo No-Pull Dog Harness Padded
- Large Dog Harness - Recommended Breeds: Medium to Large Dogs, such as Golden Retriever, Huskie, Labrador,...
- No Pull, No Choke - Our non-pulling dog harness is specially designed with 2 metal leash rings for safer dog...
- Easy to Use - This hassle-free overhead harness is easy to put on and take off with its 2 fast-release...
- Fully Adjustable - This adjustable harness features 4 easy adjusting straps around the body. You can use its 2...
- Safe and Comfortable - Your dog will enjoy the daily walk in this comfort dog harness! Made of durable nylon...
Here’s another good example of a premium quality harness that can be used to help secure your dog in a car or SUV and has an “Air Mesh Padded Design” so your dog feels cool, secure, and comfortable while wearing it.
“But” what makes this harness a good choice to use in your SUV are the features. It has all the basics like the No-Pull Design for better control and also has “2 Attachment Points” with 4 Adjustable Points for that perfect fit.
It’s also made of “Durable Nylon Webbing” that’s padded with a soft cushion to help protect your dog while in transit and its breathable air mesh material makes this harness is another great choice to use in your SUV.
|Product Name||Rabbitgoo No-Pull Dog Harness|
|Color||Available In 10 Colors|
|Material||Oxford Fabric, Nylon Webbing|
|Item Weight||250 g|
|Special Features||Illuminous, Durable, Adjustable|
|Product Dimensions||1.5 x 23.1 x 36.1 cm|
3. Truelove Dog Harness With Handle Soft Padded
- 1. Light weight Aviation aluminum fittings on neck strap make the dog harness easier to put on and take off....
- 2. Brilliant Color & high density nylon webbing with 3M reflective improve visibility at night. Soft padded in...
- 3. Two attachment points for extra control. This harness attaches in the normal back/neck area and also under...
- 4. The handle on the back can help better control the movement of dog and for attaching safety belt.
- 5. Please measure your dog's chest measurement at the same place as the line. The recommended breast size will...
The Truelove is a fantastic brand, that has been a manufacturer of containment and pet lifestyle products for more than 10 years. They create harnesses that eliminate pressure from the dog’s neck preventing any possible injuries.
The outer layer is made from durable “NYLON material” that has a “Soft Sponge Padded” in the chest and belly area for good load dispersion, making it comfortable and perfect to secure a dog in the car or SUV.
This harness is equipped with “2 Attachment Points” with a handle on the back making it easy to secure your dog and has adjustable straps that allow for a comfortable custom-fit.
However, the neck area is not adjustable so it’s very important to fully measure your dog before placing your order.
|Product Name||Truelove Dog Harness|
|Color||Available In 10 Colors|
|Material||Soft Breathable Nylon Material|
|Item Weight||7.8 ounces|
|Special Features||Durable, Reflective, Adjustable|
|Product Dimensions||10.28 x 9.65 x 2.52 inches|
4. ThinkPet No Pull Breathable Sport Dog Harness
- Medium Dog Harness- Medium size: chest girth 15-30 inch, neck girth 16-22 inch. Recommend chihuahua, havanese,...
- Durable & Escape-proof Harness- This pet harness features premium nylon that makes the harness robust against...
- Padded Breathable Dog Vest Harness- Extra thick yet breathable inner layer of soft mesh optimized for skin...
- Reflective Dog Harness for Medium Dogs- The padded dog harnesses for large dog no pull is equipped with...
- No Pull Dog Harness with Handle- This dog harness no pull own two metal leash D-rings. The BACK clip for...
Thinkpet no pull dog harness is again another great design that evenly distributes pressure to the body and protects the spine and neck area from any injury.
The material is made from a “High-Density Oxford, “Nylon Breathable Webbing” that’s not only comfortable “but” helps keep your dog cool while in your car or SUV.
This dog harness also has “Premium Double-layer Nylon Fully Adjustable Straps” for the neck and chest area that allows for custom fitting and has a top handle which again makes it easier to get your dog to and from the vehicle if you have an elderly dog.
There are Two sturdy Metal D-rings for lead attachments and seatbelt attachments. The mesh lining and soft sponge padding in the chest and belly prevent things like rubbing, giving your dog extra comfort and protection.
|Product Name||ThinkPet No-Pull Breathable Dog Harness|
|Color||Available In 14 Colors|
|Material||Upgraded Dual-Layer Nylon|
|Item Weight||191 g|
|Special Features||Illuminous, Padded, Adjustable|
|Product Dimensions||28.91 x 16.61 x 5 cm|
5. Embark Pets Adventure Dog Harness
- THE ULTIMATE ADVENTURE DOG HARNESS - Dog harnesses made for active lifestyles: take your dog for a walk, run,...
- HIGHLY ADJUSTABLE & EASY ON AND OFF - Longer straps with extra adjustment helps you find a snug fit for your...
- HEAVY-DUTY & IMPROVED DURABILITY - Made from strong military-grade nylon that exceeds national pulling...
- ALLOWS SAFE NO PULL TRAINING - Our no pull dog harness positions the back leash attachment and soft padding...
- SUPER COMFORTABLE & STYLISH – Our lightweight materials with reflective trim look stunning and help your...
This embark pets adventure dog harness is equipped with front and back lead attachments for extra security and has long straps with “Extra Adjustment” to help secure your four-legged friend while in transit.
Made from lightweight “Military-Grade Nylon” this harness is great for using inside a car or your SUV with adjustable neck and chest adjustments so your dog doesn’t experience any rubbing or discomfort.
This harness also has a top handle which can be used to secure your dog by using a seatbelt or for simply help your dog to or from the vehicle. Embark is so happy with this design they also offer a full refund if you’re not completely satisfied with the look and quality.
|Product Name||Embark Pets Adventure Dog Harness|
|Color||Available In 4 Colors|
|Item Weight||300 g|
|Special Features||Illuminous, Lightweight, Padded, Durable, Adjustable|
|Product Dimensions||44 x 34 x 4 cm|
Before You Buy
Before you make your purchase it’s very important to fully measure your dog so the harness fits correctly. As mentioned above by not this there is a chance the harness you receive will not fit your dog.
Most dog harness brands provide chart measurements that show you exactly how to measure your dog. However, if you are still unsure how to do this below is a video from pet safe showing you step by step in more detail.
How To Measure Your Dog For A Harness
To help you understand these chart measurements below is a table of what these measurements will look like however, this is just an example “but” the principle is the same or you need to do is follow the chart for the correct size.
|Size||Breast Girth||Neck Girth|
|X-Small||28-33 cm||18-23 cm|
|Small||36-41 cm||23-28 cm|
|Medium||41-48 cm||28-33 cm|
|Large||48-58 cm||33-38 cm|
|X-Large||51-74 cm||38-43 cm|
Remember to also check that the dog harness you want to purchase has a full refund policy if you’re not completely satisfied with the look and quality or at least lets you swap it for another harness just in case you do get the wrong size.
So there are five dog harnesses we think will be perfect for you to use in your car or SUV. Making sure your dog is secure before leaving is very important, and if there are any sudden braking and your dog is unrestrained they can be seriously hurt.
It’s always better to be safe than sorry after all dogs are like family and losing a pet can be heartbreaking!
So when picking your harness always put the safety of your pet first and make sure the harness has all the features you need and that the harness is comfortable for your dog.