We're an affiliate! We may earn a small commission when you make a purchase from product links at no additional cost to you!
Most of the time, a dog’s behavior is inscrutable and unpredictable. Especially when the concern is about taking them for travel along, things go a little unmanageable and tricky.
Dogs and other pets are better off on the ground than in any kind of travel. Because dogs naturally don’t have that enthusiasm to take long journeys well (both physically and mentally), they can have a hard time traveling.
However, there are certain times when taking a dog on travel becomes necessary. For circumstances like relocation, vet visits, or grooming days, pet owners can do nothing but take the stress of traveling with their dogs.
Though no matter how hard travel can prove, you always have options to help your dog with them. Wondering how? The answer is ‘SEDATIVES.’
What can I give my dog to keep him calm while flying?
Be it flying or road travel; you can always use pet sedatives to calm down your dog.
Dog sedatives are the medicines that send the pet into a partial alert and partial sleep condition. They are lighter than local anesthesia and are commonly used under high-stress conditions.
For example, your dog might barely need any sedative during road travel, but for air travels/ during flying, the use of sedation becomes necessary.
5 natural dog sedatives for travel (The Best of 2022)
Sedatives play a key role in relaxing and calming a dog during travel. Though a huge section of individuals often misuses these medications, knowingly and unknowingly. However, to lessen the misuse and side-effects of sedatives, we suggest using natural medication/ ways. Here are some top and best options amongst them which are also best under various circumstances.
NOTE: The products below though are commercial, but their formulation is based on natural sedatives. However, before using them for your dog, do an ingredient check to ensure your pet isn’t allergic to any of them.
Bach RESCUE REMEDY PET
Bach RESCUE is a natural product prepared with a combination of 5 natural flowers. It is a product by Dr. Bach, best known for developing the Bach flower remedies. This sedative-free calming drop formula helps dogs and other pets with anxiety issues that generally arise during traveling. The product is homeopathic, vegan, vegetarian, and entirely plant-driven.
Besides that, it is free from gluten, major allergens, sugar, and any artificial flavor. So even in the long run, using it won’t lead to any alcoholism or habit-forming issue.
- BACH RESCUE REMEDY PET DROPPER: A pet-safe RESCUE REMEDY formula to help relieve pet stress. For dogs, cats,...
- SEDATIVE-FREE CALMING DROPS: Use leading up to and during stressful pet situations like visiting the...
- TRUSTED BY PET LOVERS WORLDWIDE: Made with the original RESCUE REMEDY tincture - Dr. Bach's blend of 5 natural...
- DOCTOR DEVELOPED FORMULA: Plant-based active ingredients, homeopathic, vegan, vegetarian. FREE OF: Artificial...
- FOR PETS OF ALL BREEDS, AGES & WEIGHTS: Give 4 drops orally or with food/water as needed. Can be used with...
How to use: Give your dog about 4 drops of the formula with food/water or orally. The dose may depend upon the amount of stress and the animal’s size.
Hempseed, Chamomile & Valerian Oil for Cats & Dogs
This Homescape world store product is a formulation of Hempseed, Chamomile, and Valerian Oil. The oil helps in calming over-energetic, hyperactive, and anxious dogs. It also aids in relieving tension and the nervous stomach, thus promoting better sleep during travels and at home.
The oil has no additives, artificial flavors, and preservations. The hemp seed oil also aids in a healthy inflammatory response calming overall mental and physical discomfort.
Hemp Seed Oil: It is known for calming overall discomfort.
Organic Chamomile Flower & Valerian Root: This combination helps in reducing nervous tummies and calming stress.
How to use: Feed your dog about 4 to 5 drops of oil. You can give it directly to your pet’s mouth or mix it with food/ water. The formulation is safer to use 1 or 2 times a day as per requirement.
- ✅ WANT TO KEEP YOUR DOG OR CAT CALM, HAPPY & HEALTHY? Homescape Pet’s organic hempseed oil supplement for...
- ✅ OUR EASY TO ADMINISTER DROPS contain only Organic Whole Herb Chamomile, Organic Whole Herb Valerian Root,...
- ✅ SOOTHE YOUR PET NATURALLY and make life easier for both you and your dog or cat. The Homescape Pets...
- ✅ RELAX & CALM YOUR ANXIOUS OR HYPERACTIVE PET WITH OUR NATURAL SUPPLEMENT DROPS, which contain all-natural...
- ✅ HELPS IMPROVE COMPOSURE AND EASE THE STRESS of vet visits, grooming, new environments, car rides, and...
Richard’s Organics Pet Calm
The Richard’s Organics Pet Calm is a calming formula that aids in relieving pets’ anxiety and stress. It has proven effects on reducing hyperactivity and calming your dog’s nerves before any anxiety-causing events like air travel.
The formula is a rich blend of Valerian Extract, Chamomile Extract, Passion Flower Extract, Skull Cap Extract, and base ingredients. With 100% natural active ingredients, the oil doesn’t lead to any side effects or allergic reactions. Also, since it is drug-free, your pet won’t become habitual to its usage.
- RELIEVE PET ANXIETY AND STRESS – Richard’s Organics Pet Calm effectively treats cat and dog anxiety and...
- 100% NATURAL – Pet Calm has 100% natural active ingredients, is drug-free and safe for dogs/cats. Medicinal...
- WORKS TO CALM DOGS AND CATS – With Pet Calm, you can provide anxiety relief for dogs and cats without making...
- EASY TO USE – These pet anxiety drops are easy to use, and pets love the taste. Administer straight from the...
- EFFECTIVE AND AFFORDABLE – SynergyLab’s Richard’s Organics pet wellness and healing products are created...
How to use: Either feed 4 to 6 drops straight from the dropper into the dog’s mouth or mix it with food/ water.
LEGITPET Calming Spray for Cats and Dogs
The LEGITPET is a calming spray and a formula derived from mixing lavender oil, hemp seed oil, and pheromones. All of these are unique natural ingredients that deliver instant actions taking no more than 15 minutes. The formula aids in easing stress and providing relief from anxiety. And since its effects last for 6 hours, it is most ideal for use during flights.
- ✅ PET CALMING SPRAY HELPS REDUCE CAT'S & DOG'S STRESS, promotes anxiety relief and eases the tension. Bring...
- ✅ FAST WORKING – LEGITPET pheromone cat and dog calming spray eliminates stress within 15 minutes. The...
- ✅ SAFE & NATURAL – our calming spray for cats is made of 100% natural sedative essential: oils hemp.
- ✅ PERFECT FOR CATS & DOGS IN DIFFERENT CASES: vet visit, travel in a car, fireworks, sexual hunting,...
- ✅ TESTED BY VETERINARIANS - An absolutely safe and effective replacement for calming chews, treats, and...
How to use: Hold the spray bottle approximately 4 inches away and spray it on your dog’s paws. Allow 10 to 15 minutes to let the formula show signs of effectiveness.
Since it is a spray-based method, you can even repeat its usage during a flight from outside your dog’s cage (if needed).
Pet Nutrition Hеmp Oil Dogs Cats
Pet Nutrition offers a herbal product made up of pure Hemp seed oil. The formula is meant for reducing stress, anxiety, travel issues, constant barking, and more.
It is also ideal for pets who are suffering from chronic pain, arthritis, nerve pain aging, and knee joint pain. In addition, since it promotes natural sleep, it is ideal for use for dogs during air travel.
Besides hemp seed oil, it contains omega 3, 6, 9, and vitamin E as well. The oil is preservatives-free, gluten-free, and non-GMO.
- Relieves аnxiety: take the strеss, separation аnxiety, travel issues or constant barking away from your pet...
- Helps with pаins & aches: if your pet is struggling with chronic pаin, аrthritis, knee, joints or nerve...
- Calms sleep & supports mood: our oil promotes natural sleep and definitely boosts the mood of your lovely pet
- Universal & safe: we is completely natural and safe hеmр oil extract suitable for all breeds and sizes of...
- Trusted by millions of pet owners all over the world: our oil frequently becomes back-ordered
How to use: You can use it orally, topically, or by any humane method. For example, let your dog sniff it or feed him with food or water.
Top 3 over the counter dog sedative for car travel
Traveling with dogs is an absolutely fun idea for humans. But when it is about dogs, experiences like travel anxiety and motion sickness can lead to uncomfortable times. Though luckily, several over-the-counter dog sedatives help in relaxing and fun car travel. Have a look at some of the best options.
- Ark Naturals Happy Traveler are natural calming treats you can find at pet stores or chemists. It comprises natural ingredients like Valerian and German Chamomile. Some of its other supporting ingredients include flaxseed oil, gelatin, whey, salt, and more. It also provides a source of beneficial intestinal bacteria and thus supports intestinal balance and a healthy immune system.
- ANXIETY RELIEF FOR DOGS & CATS: Our natural calming treats are formulated for cats and dogs to reduce anxiety...
- REDUCES SITUATIONAL & TRAVEL ANXIETY: Calm Traveler is designed to reduce anxiety and nervousness associated...
- NATURAL CALMING SUPPLEMENT: Our natural herbal calming treat is formulated with L-tryptophan, which effects...
- OCCASIONAL ANXIETY SUPPORT: Use Happy Traveler Soft Chews only when necessary with change in your pet's daily...
- CAREFULLY CRAFTED IN THE USA: Our recipe is formulated with high quality and natural ingredients that are corn...
This over-the-counter dog sedative is meant for long-distance travel, motion sickness, nervous and anxious behavior, and aggressive attitude.
NOTE: Though the calming treats are easy to digest, we still suggest you check your dog’s allergies before feeding them.
- Vetoquinol Zylkene Calming Supplements are ideal for large dogs weighing between 32 to 132 lbs. This over-the-counter sedative is a supplement that promotes a sense of calmness in animals. The tables are clinically proven to reduce anxiety and stress without initiating any drowsy side effects. And since it is made of natural ingredients like dried hydrolyzed casein, maltodextrin, magnesium stearate, it is safe to use.
- Zylkene's formula is clinically proven to help relieve stress without the drowsy side effects
- Vet recommended to help relieve anxiety during thunderstorms, car rides, separation and more
- Zylkene's calming supplements are made with natural ingedients that are easy on sensitive stomachs
- Zylkene's dog calming & cat calming formula is taste tested and proven effective
- For best results, start giving Zylkene 1-2 days before a stress event. For short and long term use
This over-the-counter sedative supplement comes in three different counts and strength facilitating for dogs of various sizes.
NOTE: Start feeding it to your dog at least 1 to 2 days before the travel for better results.
- NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid Dog Supplement is high quality and healthy supplement for dogs. It is a wholesome supplement for nervous and anxious dogs. The product contains time-release chewable tablets made up of 6 key ingredients, including Melatonin, Chamomile, Ginger, Thiamine, Passionflower, and L-Tryptophan. Melatonin is a natural neurohormone that aids in relaxing dogs but directly hits the nervous system. And with the effect, your dog might experience some drowsiness, though it will remain completely safe.
- HIGH-QUALITY HEALTH SUPPLEMENT FOR DOGS: Bring your friendly pup the calm he needs during separation, storms,...
- PET SUPPLEMENTS FOR ANXIETY: Ensure that your canine companion receives the support needed to reduce stress...
- WHOLESOME DOG SUPPLEMENTS FOR NERVOUSNESS: Each dog soft chew in this NaturVet Calming Aid dog supplement is...
- TASTY, DOG SOFT CHEW SUPPLEMENT: Help your pet stay calm and relaxed with Quiet Moments tasty soft chews....
- PET PRODUCTS YOU CAN TRUST: Since 1994, NaturVet has been serving the four-legged community with wholesome,...
NOTE: It is only meant for 12 weeks or older dogs.
Should dogs Be Sedated During Air Travel?
As long as your dog covers air travel without any issues, avoid using sedation on the innocent pet. Let’s understand it in detail,
Sedation sends an individual (human or animal) into a partial sleep and partial awake state. It makes one feel spaced out and dreamy and reduce all kind of anxiety and stress. However, as per American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), sedating dogs, cats, and other pets during air travel isn’t safe at all. In the state of sedation, the pet might develop the risk of heart and respiratory problems.
Dogs during air travel are enclosed in a kennel for long hours. Traveling in a cabin is still a relaxing affair since they have their owner along. Though traveling in cargo at 8,000 feet or higher with a pressurized environment, dogs under sedation might react abnormally without an owner.
This at times also leads to a situation when bringing dogs out of sedation becomes a medical challenge. Also, some dogs and mainly cats behave hyperactively after taking sedatives.
Thus, unless your dog is highly anxious and taking him on a flight is the last resort, you can rely on sedatives. And for that task, do consult your VET beforehand. However, avoid sedatives if your dog does fine without a little stress here and there.
What can I use to sedate my dog for travel?
Sedating dogs before travel is a long-used practice. However, individuals have conflicting beliefs and claim for the same. With that, the market is full of commercial dog sedatives that helps pet before air travel.
For instance, some veterinarian prescribed medications include alprazolam (brand names: Xanax® and Niravam®), gabapentin (brand name Neurontin®), trazodone (brand name Desyrel®), and more.
(NOTE: DO NOT USE SEDATIVES WITHOUT CONSULTING ANY VETERINARIAN FIRST).
Natural remedies and over-the-counter remedies include chamomile, hemp oil, catnip, lavender oil, valerian, and anti-anxiety wraps.
How long can you sedate a dog for travel?
Sedating a dog for 24 hours is normal and harmless. However, while you are sedating a dog for travel, avoid repeating the process during the flight hour.
Should we Tranquilize Your Pet During Air Travel?
Until and unless it is very necessary, avoid tranquilizing your pet during air travel. To Tranquilize is as close as to Sedate, and both can prove harmful for the pet.
In rare cases, tranquilizing the pet can also lead to severe dehydration and breathing issues. Also, a lot of airlines do not take a pet in tranquilized condition for flights.
Sedation vs. Sleep meds vs. tranquilizing dogs
The key difference between Sedation vs. Sleep meds vs. tranquilizing is their analgesic properties. While sleeping medicines and sedatives offer increased analgesia, tranquilizers offer comparatively less analgesia.
Sleeping pills/ medicine send dogs into a deep sleeping state. However, you should never give sleeping pills to your pets without consulting with a veterinarian.
Sedatives send dogs into a partial sleeping and alert state. It relaxes the pet’s nerves and keeps them from moving. But unfortunately, sedation doesn’t keep pets aware of their surroundings.
Tranquilizer sends the dog in a partial rest state, but they still can move. Again, unlike sedatives, it keeps the dog aware of its surroundings.
How do you calm a dog down on a long car ride?
Although many dogs love going on long drives, some of them might behave anxious or aggressive. But, be their behaviors is on any side of the coin, it is completed normally.
If your dog enjoys car rides, you are lucky enough. And if they don’t, then follow these tips below.
- Begin with a few short test drives, and this will help your dog normalize with it slowly.
- While your car is parked, make your dog sit inside it. First, let the windows roll down so that the pet doesn’t panic. Then, sit along to make him realize it’s safe and all normal.
- Consider keeping your car window open. Air regulation helps with motion sickness. However, if the temperature doesn’t allow roll up the window.
- Limit your dog’s food intake for a few hours before the trip.
- Exercise your dog well before the car ride. This will help the dog sleep thus stay calm during the travel.
- Give the dog plenty of opportunity for breaks. For example, consider stopping after every hour and allow your dog to take a walk/ poop+pee break.
- Take someone with you who can pat and comfort the dog during the ride.
- Let your dog drink as much water as he wants.
- Visit the vet before your trip and consult on some motion sickness medication for staying on the safer side.
- Plan the ride when the weather isn’t too hot or too cold.
How can I get my dog to sleep naturally?
Here are a couple of tips for sound sleep for your dog (Naturally):
- Set up a routine and keep things consistent. Wake up, feed, exercise, and allow your dog to sleep simultaneously for each day. Slowly, your pet will blend into the routine.
- Exercise your dog throughout the day so that he is tired and can sleep well during the night.
- Develop a comfortable sleeping space for the dog.
- Use white noise machines or sleeping machines for better sleep.
- Lastly, consider your sleeping habits, and they will aid in your dog’s sleeping habits.
- Will Benadryl sedate a dog? Giving dog Benadryl before flight for sedation
- Benadryl helps in mild car sickness, and this makes up for a good dog sedative. The usual Benadryl dosage suggested for dogs is 1 mg per pound, two to three times daily.
NOTE: Start with half a dose and observe how much does it Sedate. If that’s enough, do not go with another half. However, if it isn’t you can go for half more.
This was all for dog sedatives. However, since sedating a dog, a child play does consult your dog’s veterinarian first. A professional will guide you well with which sedative will suit your pet best.