Dogs are constant human companions may be from the beginning of life and probably till the end of it. Even our lives will be boring without our canine buddies being constantly around.
And if you are an avid pet lover, even your outing will be boring without having your dog alongside. But is it really possible to bring your dog along always? Especially when the recreation is a little challenging, for example, ‘Hammock Camping’?
Can you hammock camp with a dog?
Yes, as long as your dog is comfortable and happy, you can Hammock with him/her.
While some dogs love sleeping in a hammock, others find it tricky and annoying. Though until and unless you will try, you won’t really get the answer. That is why, before you head out into the wild for Hammock camping with your dog, begin practicing it at home.
Since a hammock is easier to plant almost anywhere, home can be a good place to try it with your dog. With time, the pet will start feeling safe and comfortable with it. And later, when you both actually head into the wild, sleeping in a hammock won’t make him feel weird. So, How do you camp with a dog?
Hammock Camping with my Dog- 9 important tips
Before you go on a Hammock Camping trip with your dog, there goes a lot of planning behind that. Since you are going to stay away from home in a very different environment, things can go anxious for your pet, and then obviously for you.
That is why, before you actually start, consider the following tips. The list below is all that expert Hammock campers and pet parents suggest. Hence, every piece of advice directly comes from the horse’s mouth. Have a look:
1) Begin preparing at home
Reaching the campsite and finding that your dog is avoiding even getting into the Hammock can prove highly disappointing. Thus, to avoid any stress, always begin practicing with Hammock at home.
You can hang the Hammock between trees in your garden or between two poles/ blocks. Since the home is safe, building confidence in dogs will prove easier than directly in the wild.
2) Prepare your dog for sounds.
Since camping isn’t living at home, you might have to face several oddities in the wild. And one of the most common amongst them is wild noises.
Train him to handle wild noises when your dog has already found solace in sleeping in Hammock. You can play animal noises, heavy wind noises, waterfall noises, and other common sounds loudly on the speaker. Since the wild camping space can have several circumstances, prepare your dog to sleep comfortably amidst that.
3) Find a Dog-friendly Campground
Before you leave for the final trip, make sure the campground is dog-friendly, preferably allowing dogs without a lease. This will save you from the stress of wandering last minute or paying a hefty fine.
4) Groom the dog before you go
Hammocks are made up of Nylon and other cloth material. And since dogs have sharp nails, they can unintentionally damage the entire Hammock.
Would you like to face it right before you head to sleep at the campsite? No right? Then trim your dog’s nails right before the trip starts. Or, in case you forgot, do keep a nail trimmer in your essential kit.
5) Prepare a ‘DOG KIT’
Adjusting a day without some things is easier for humans; however, some carrying a few things is dam necessary if you have pets along. Thus, gather these essentials before you head for the Hammock camping trip with your dog. Have a look:
- Food and Water Bowl.
- Dog food (and a little more in case your dog or someone else’s might need it).
- Drinking water (check with your campsite if it already has)
- Favourite Dog Treats
- Insect and Bug Repellents, along with a dog-safe sunscreen
- Biodegradable poop bags and a poop picker
- A pack of wet tissues or regular tissues
- Your dog’s favorite toy
- Dog boots if the area has gravel and is rough.
- A first aid kit includes tick tweezers/keys, a plain bandage, a nail trimmer, scissors, tape, antibiotic ointment, blood clotting powder, ice, hot packs, and an antiseptic wash.
- Lease and collar (an extra pair)
- Blankets or top quilts.
- Warm clothes if it is the winter season.
- A mosquito net.
- A nightlight for your dog’s collar.
- Your dog’s important medicines
NOTE: If you are planning to camp at a dog-friendly site, you can contact the office for first aid things they provide. This will help you minimize the load to carry.
6) Prepare your dog with identification tags.
Before you go camping, update your dog’s collar with the latest identification information. This will come in for great help in case your dog gets lost. The ID tag may include information like:
- Your dog’s name
- Your name, address, mobile number, alternate mobile number, and e-mail.
- Dog’s vaccination papers (Carry along with these documents to the campsite as well).
- Information about your campsite.
7) Keep a close eye on your dog during the night hours.
The last thing you would want is either your dog getting stolen or becoming food of the wild. Thus keep a close eye on your dog, especially once it starts becoming dark. It is when you must lease your dog and attach it to your bracelet, pant loop, basically close to yourself. Even while you are sleeping, try tying the dog’s lease with something on your for staying on the safer side.
An LED harness will also make it easier for you to keep an eye on the dog.
8) Choose the right time.
Camping in the wild, especially with pets, isn’t really an easy deal. Especially during peak summers or peak winters, things can get really out of hand. While humans can still cope with animals, you really never know what is bothering them. Thus, before heading out for Hammock camping with a dog, be cautious about the time, especially at the campground.
9) Be aware of your dog’s aggression level.
If you have an aggressive and destructive dog, avoid taking him in public. Remember campgrounds (which are dog-friendly) will have multiple other dogs as well. This scenario isn’t the most ideal for dogs who don’t like strangers nearby, especially other animals.
How to set up a camping hammock? how to hang a camping hammock
For setting up and hanging a camping hammock follow the below steps
- Firstly, find two trees or poles that are at least 12 to 16 feet apart. Make sure they are strong enough to bear the user’s weight.
- Now inspect the trees for bugs and insects and the region for wildlife.
- Further, lay all the hammock accessories and hardware and begin with the process. Begin with attaching the straps to the trees and end up the process with attaching the Hammock. Since every Hammock is different, they come with their own user manual.
- Make sure your Hammock is hanging at a 30-degree angle with enough sag.
How to sleep in a hammock camping?
For sleeping in a Hammock, Follow the below steps
- Sit down in the middle of a Hammock with your butt down, ensuring you are not placing weight on either side.
- Now lay down diagonally on your back and slightly off from the center. Ensure you aren’t sinking too deep into the center.
- You can now gather different positions once you feel comfortable. For added ease, place a pillow below your head and knees. This will lessen the pressure on your back.
Is it better to camp in a tent or a Hammock?
Hammock Camping and Tenting are two different types of camping. While both can be followed by pets along, there are some differences between them. Have a look,
- Hammocks are more comfortable than tents and aid in better sleep.
- They are cooler thus better for tropical climates, whereas tents are better for cold places.
- Hammocks allow more airflow, whereas a tent might make you feel suffocated.
- Tenting without a permit is mostly illegal, whereas, in most states, Hammocks are legal.
- Hammocks provide better visibility than tents.
- Hammocks are easier to plant and fold than tents.
- Tents bring more creepy crawlies, whereas hammocks bring lesser.
- Hammocks are cheaper and lighter than tents.
- And Lastly, Hammocks have most features that a tent has; however it isn’t the same way around.
Best hammocks for camping with a dog
Kootek Camping Hammock
PRICE: $22.99 to $33.99
The Kootek Camping Hammock is a 210T Nylon Parachute fabric that will stay tough for years. The material it is made up of is anti-fraying, anti-tearing, dirty resistant, easier to clean, and dries quickly. It has two straps, and each strap has 10 loops that help in adjusting to the perfect height. While its medium size is fine enough for one individual, the larger one can accommodate two. For your dog and you, it is one of the ideal purchases. And when not in use, fold and fit it inside its backpack. The best part is, this Hammock is available in 24 different colors.
- Enjoy the Swing: Lie down and rest with your friends, kids or lovers, relax in complete comfort under the...
- Super Lightweight: Can be folded into the small attached sack, portable to carry and fits into backpack. It is...
- Adjustable Tree-friendly Straps: Each strap 10 feet long with 18+1 loops, easily locking the carabineers to...
- Durable & Comfortable: Made of 210T parachute fabric material, has excellent antifraying, anti-tearing, dirty...
- Great Gift: Various of color to select, ideal gift for friends, kids, lovers, father, mother, traveler, beach...
Vivere Double Cotton Hammock with Space Saving Steel Stand
Vivere Double cotton hammock is a pure cotton product that makes it more comfortable. It is woven with high-quality cotton thread, resulting in its durability and strength. Besides that, it has adjustable hooks that allow the user to decide the Hammock’s height. Its maximum weight capacity is 450 lbs, good enough for both humans and pets. Since it comes with a steel stand, you don’t have to find trees for planting one. Just assemble the stand, fix the Hammock, and you are good to go. Lastly, it is available in 44 different colours/ styles/ patterns.
- Vivere combo, the double hammock with stand and carry bag is our top choice for combos. The double hammock is...
- The hammock stand is constructed of heavy duty Steel and assembles in minutes without any tools.
- Vivere hammocks have pure polyester end strings that will last longer than traditional cotton end strings.Bed...
- The larger of our Brazilian hammock combos is great for sharing a snooze with a friend
- Stunning colors make this hammock the highlight of the yard
MOSFiATA Hammocks Portable Camping Hammock
The MOSFiATA Hammock is a product made up of 320G environmental protection canvas fabric. It is breathable, soft to the skin, and water-resistant. With spreader bars on both sides, it ensures fine balance and keeps unattended kids and pets from falling down. There is a metal knot on both ends that keeps the rope knot from damaging even after prolonged usage. The product can easily handle heavyweight humans and animals.
- 【Anti-rollover Design & Extra Capacity】MOSFiATA Hammock desings Balance spreader bars (15.7in), with...
- 【Thickened Comfortable Canvas Fabric Hammock】This amacas made of newly upgraded thickened 320G...
- 【Sturdy Metal Knot】 The metal knot can prevent the long-term friction between the knot and the tie rope...
- 【Durable and Safe】The binding ropes at both ends of the hammock are made of nylon, tightly braided and...
- 【Handy and Easy to Setup】MOSFiATA Travel Hammocks come with a compact bag, easy to carry and storage. The...
Easthills Outdoors Jungle Explorer Hammock
The Easthills camping hammock is another 210T Taffeta parachute product that is meant to last. It has two long straps with 16 adjustable loops that aid in better height adjustment. Since it is quite huge, it can easily accommodate two individuals, be it humans or pets. The Hammock has two small pockets on the sides for holding small belongings like mobile phones, keys, rings, etc. Lastly, the product comes with a bug net and a rain cover for added protection. It is available in 5 different colors.
- EVERYTHING INCLUDED: No need to look elsewhere! We include 2 long tree straps with 16 adjustable loops(750 lb....
- TOP QUALITY MATERIAL: Crafted from high-strength, breathable 210T Taffeta parachute with triple stitch edge...
- ROOMY DESIGN FOR COMFORT: Measuring 300 x 200cm (118 x 79 Inches), it can fit two adults, so you can relax...
- VERSATILE: Features 4 internal hanging loops and 2 gear pockets inside to hold your small personal items....
- EASY SUSPENSION SYSTEM: Easy setup and relax in this hammock within minutes with the daisy-chain loop system...
Hammock camping is an ideal way to camp, especially when you are planning to take your dog along. Following the above tips and tricks, you can make the process easy and enjoyable for your pet. However, if, after multiple tries, your pet doesn’t feel comfortable, drop the idea.