German Shepherd Dog Foods for Shedding Control
While a little bit of shedding is natural for German Shepherd, most pet owners are always concerned about it.
German Shepherds shed twice a year heavily and blow away their undercoats.
Although avoiding shedding is considered outside the GSD breed standard, it is possible to control it to some extent.
Pet owners will agree to the fact that Dog Shedding can leave its footprints all around their house.
From blankets, sofa, carpet to almost everywhere around, the presence of hairballs can create a mess everywhere around.
Even though all dogs shred naturally, skin conditions and nutritional deficiencies can sometimes worsen the case.
We have researched some finest options to combat the situation and find you the best dog food for shedding.
Before discussing the top products, let’s shed some light on German Shepherds Shedding and dog food.
Why Do Dogs Shed? a guide to German Shepherd Shedding
Dog’s hair has a specific lifecycle which is divided into three different phases:
- Anagen phase: It is when hair growth is active
- Catagen phase: It is when hair growth stops
- Telogen phase: It is when hair shedding starts and the old ones are replaced with the new.
Once your Dog’s hair reaches its designated length and age (time), it will begin to shed.
Most of the hair that falls is the thick and protective undercoat layer.
While maximum instances for Dog Shedding is normal, at times allergies, stress, deficiency, and diet can contribute to it.
Until you are experiencing usual Shedding with your dog, it is all normal.
Once you begin noticing symmetrical hair loss on specific regions, hair loss in patches, or other skin issues, it is time to take action.
Dog shedding- What to expect and how to manage it?
While a few dog breeds are shed free, the remaining dogs shed in different amounts.
As discussed above, German Shepherds shed excessively twice a year.
If you have one at home, you will notice them shedding specifically during Spring and fall seasons.
In preparation for warm weather, German Shepherds start shedding in spring, making their natural coat lighter.
Whereas for winters, you will see a higher incidence of shedding since fall.
It is important to brush your German Shepherd weekly, alternative days, or sometimes even daily during medium to heavy shedding.
Even though your dog is shedding heavily or not, it is important to brush and groom them regularly.
Top 5 Food for Shedding Control in German Shepherd
When Shedding has crossed the normal level in your German Shepherds, it is time for you to take some action.
Here are the top 5 Food for Shedding Control in German Shepherds that you can give a try.
Purina Pro Plan with Probiotics
Price range- $49.98 to $52.98
- (1) 35 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan High Protein Dog Food With Probiotics for Dogs, Shredded Blend Chicken and...
- Hard kibble combined with tender, shredded pieces for taste and texture dogs love
- High protein formula, with real chicken as the first ingredient
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics for digestive and immune health
- Used to be known as SAVOR Shredded Blend Chicken and Rice Formula
The Purina Pro Plan is a high-protein dog food with probiotics.
The formula contains Omega 6 fatty acids (linoleic acid) and Vitamin A, known for nourishing dog skin and coat.
For dogs who are shedding over than normal, it offers a perfect blend of required nutrition.
It contains real chicken as the first active ingredient, along with rice, and another wholesome dog dry food.
The formula has food kibble and tender shredded pieces that dogs love due to great flavours.
This completely balanced nutrition provides protein, fat, carbohydrates along with essential vitamins.
All of it combinedly maintains an ideal body condition for dogs.
Not only with your dog’s fur/coat, but the Purina Pro plan also helps maintain strong teeth and high energy.
It also contains antioxidants, which help maintain a strong and healthy immune system, which helps prevent overeating.
It is an ideal combination of several vitamins and minerals for dogs who can digest gluten-rich food and food products.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
Price range- $49.99
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein...
- FOR ADULT DOGS: BLUE Life Protection Formula adult dog food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to...
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by...
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and...
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice
The Blue Buffalo formula is a real chicken dog food that provides antioxidants and vital nutrients to your dogs.
It is rich in Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids and fish oil that keep the dog’s skin and coat healthy.
The formula contains the finest natural ingredients, including real chicken, whole grains, vegetables, and fruits.
It altogether builds a healthy meal that ensures overall health and sustainable development amongst dogs.
Due to the natural properties, the Blue Buffalo life formula will turn into blue colour within 12 to 14 days.
Though the colour change is normal and you can still feed it to your German Shepherd.
It is one of the best-reviewed pet foods for dog shedding. The best part is, it starts showing results within a quick time frame.
Hill’s Science Dog Food to Reduce Shedding
Price range- $57.99 to $63.99
- A large breed puppy food specially made with an optimal level of calcium for controlled bone growth
- Uses a balanced set of minerals to promote strong bones and teeth in large puppies. Caloric content: 3970...
- Uses DHA from fish oil to support healthy brain and eye development for growing dogs
- High-quality protein helps your large pup build and maintain lean muscle
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
The Hill’s science dog food is Veterinarians recommended brand ideal for light dog shedding in small and large breeds.
With science-led nutrition, improves overall health and maintains steady development.
You can buy Hill’s Science dog food in two different variants.
First is the Chicken Meal and oats flavour whereas the Second is Lamb meal and Brown rice.
It is specifically recommended for Stomach, Active, Joint issues.
However, DHA from fin oil, Vitamin E, Omega-3, and high-quality protein, also helps control shedding.
It might not provide the best result for skin allergies, though.
It is ideal for German Shepherds who are shedding a little over the usual.
It might not work best for skin conditions or high shedding, though.
Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat Superfood
Price range- $59.83
- High quality protein made with wild caught salmon and zero grains, designed for all life stages, optimal amino...
- Premium ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; superfoods for hard-working antioxidants; fatty acids for...
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY digestible with PROPRIETARY, species specific, probiotics that survive and thrive in...
- Family owned & run, MADE in the USA choosing ingredients from TRUSTED, SUSTAINABLE sources around the world;...
- No corn, wheat, filler; NO ARTIFICIAL flavors, colors, or preservatives added; made with scientifically...
The Diamond Naturals Real Meat Dry Dog Food is formulated especially for your dog’s fur and skin.
It is enriched with wild-caught salmon that constitutes essential fatty acids and oils that improve Shedding.
This particular dog food contains essential hypoallergenic ingredients, hard-working antioxidants, and multiple superfoods.
Its perfect amino acid profile promotes stronger and leaner muscles.
The Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat Superfood is easy to digest and also helps in enhancing the GI tract.
It does not contain any colours, preservatives, corn, wheat, filler, or artificial flavours.
It is one of the ideal dog shedding foods for hypo-allergic German Shepherds.
If none of the other dog foods suits your dog, you can blindly go for this.
Nutri-Vet Shed Défense for Dogs
Price range- $6.69
- HEALTHY SKIN - Helps to protect skin and create a shiny, healthier coat.
- HELPS SUPPORT NORMAL SHEDDING - Good for all size dogs
- OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS - Salmon oil is an excellent source of the omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA.
- GREAT TASTE - Great tasting natural hickory smoke flavor.
Nutri-Vet Shed Défense comes in Salmon flavor and is ideal for dogs of all breeds.
It tastes like natural hickory smoke flavour and is loved by all dogs.
It is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, specifically Salmon oil that provides DHA and EPA.
Nutria-vet proves as a superfood for creating a healthier & shinier coat.
Each serving contains flax seeds, palm oil, and salmon.
Within the second week of regular feeding, you can notice lower shedding.
After a month, the problematic shedding will resolve completely.
It is one of the ideal choices if you are looking for treats instead of dog food.
Though despite that, it will help in reducing shedding.
homemade dog food for shedding
How to Control Dog Shedding Naturally
Apart from using dedicated dog foods, you can also use DIY shedding control methods.
Here are some quick tips for reducing dog shedding at home. Have a look:
- A softer and cleaner dog coat is less likely to shed; thus, consider combing daily.
- Make sure you are providing them fatty acid supplements & good digestible protein sources.
- Get done an allergy and flea control session seasonally.
- Bath your dog frequently during the summer months.
- Add Molasses to your dog’s food. (1 tablespoon for 10 lbs).
- Dust and allergens can lead to excessive shedding in dogs; thus, use an air purifier to filter them out.
These were the top 5 dog food for shedding control in German Shepherds.
Even though it is a normal process for dogs to lose hair, we recommend you to keep an eye on the frequency and quantity of the same.
Excessive shedding can occur due to various health conditions, which you should focus upon right away.